March 1, 2010 PRINT Bookmark and Share

WCHA Suspends Marvin 3 Games

CHN Staff Report

DENVER — The WCHA has suspended St. Cloud State junior foward Aaron Marvin for three games because of his actions in a game against Wisconsin on Feb. 20.

Marvin elbowed Wisconsin's Blake Geoffrion in the head, giving Geoffrion a concussion. No penalty was called on the play. Geoffrion had to miss Wisconsin's games last weekend, and is questionable for this weekend.

There has been pressure on the WCHA to act in response to Marvin's apparent illegal hit to Geoffrion, as much because it's been an accumulation of incidents than anything. But the WCHA waited before making a move, and had that leeway because St. Cloud State was idle last weekend.

The supplemental disciplinary action was taken after discussions between officials at St. Cloud State, the WCHA Executive Committee and Commissioner Bruce McLeod.

“Player safety is of paramount concern to all of us in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association and players are responsible for conducting themselves in a proper manner,” said Nancy Sampson, Faculty Representative from the University of Denver and Chair of the Association and Commissioner McLeod in a joint statement. “Our student-athletes need to make every possible effort to play within the spirit of the rules and know that they will be held accountable for their actions.

“The Association, through its administrators and officials and member team administrators, coaches and student-athletes, will continue to work together to address concerns in a responsible and constructive way.”

Minnesota-Duluth broadcaster Bruce Ciskie cites sources, in his blog, that say the original suspension length was longer before St. Cloud State appealed.

Marvin has been under serious scrutiny since a hard check from behind also led to a concussion for North Dakota senior defenseman Chay Genoway during a game on Nov. 13. Genoway has yet to return for the Sioux.

Three weeks ago, in a rematch between North Dakota and St. Cloud State, Sioux forward Mario Lamoureux tried to engage Marvin in a fight, but was restrained by officials. Both players were penalized, but Lamoureux was later suspended one game for insigating the incident.

Bookmark and Share PRINT

Comment on this Article

Send Feedback | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions

©2017 College Hockey News.