December 13, 2011 PRINT Bookmark and Share

Trivino's Career at BU Finished After Arrest

Parker Calls Senior a 'Good Kid' With a 'Problem'

by Scott McLaughlin/CHN Writer

BU senior Corey Trivino was kicked off the team on Monday following his arrest. (photo: Amanda Swinhart/Daily Free Press)

BU senior Corey Trivino was kicked off the team on Monday following his arrest. (photo: Amanda Swinhart/Daily Free Press)

BOSTON — Corey Trivino appeared to have it all figured out on the ice. After an underwhelming first three seasons at Boston University, the first half of his senior year reminded everyone why he was a second-round pick of the New York Islanders in 2008. Trivino scored two goals in BU's 5-1 win at Maine on Saturday and returned to Boston early Sunday morning as the leading goal scorer in Hockey East with 13 on the season.

Unfortunately, the 21-year-old Trivino never figured it out off the ice. A series of alcohol-related issues came to a head Sunday night, his last night as a member of the BU hockey team. The Terriers' first-line center was arrested around 11 p.m. and charged with three counts of indecent assault and battery, three counts of breaking and entering in the nighttime and one count of assault with attempt to rape.

According to the police report obtained by the Daily Free Press, a residence assistant had entered the room Trivino was in and asked those in the room to quiet down. The apparently intoxicated Trivino allegedly followed the RA back to her room, pushed his way in and proceeded to forcibly kiss her and grope her breasts.

Trivino, who could not be reached for comment, left after the RA told him he needed to, but he allegedly came back twice more and continued to try to kiss and grope the RA despite her attempts to make him stop. According to the report, Trivino proceeded to lie on the RA's bed the third time he entered the room. It was at that point that the RA called police, and Trivino was arrested a little while later.

BU coach Jack Parker said it was his understanding that none of Trivino's teammates were there for the incident. Because the team was in Maine on Saturday night — the usual designated night to drink for players over 21 — players who are of legal drinking age were allowed to drink on Sunday instead. Parker said he had been told that some players were drinking with Trivino earlier that day, but that they didn't let him go out with them that night because he was already too drunk.

Parker said Trivino's roommates, including team captain Chris Connolly, returned to their room a little after midnight and found out that Trivino had been arrested. They then called Parker, now in his 39th season as head coach of the Terriers, to let him know what happened. Parker said both he and the upperclassmen who called him knew what the arrest meant right away.

"I knew that was the end of his BU hockey career," Parker said in a phone interview. "I didn't have to wait to see how anything played out. I told Corey at the beginning of the season that if he had one more alcohol-related incident, I was gonna kick him off the team. This is an alcohol-related incident."

Parker issued that ultimatum because Trivino had already had three alcohol-related incidents during his time at BU. He was first disciplined for his actions after the 2009-10 season. As The Daily Free Press reported at the time, Trivino was among 13 to 15 Terriers who went out drinking on St. Patrick's Day, just two nights before the team's Hockey East semifinal loss against Maine. Trivino and teammate Vinny Saponari then showed up late for a mandatory team bike ride that served as punishment for the incident.

Saponari was dismissed from the team for cumulative transgressions, with that missed bike ride being the final straw. Parker suspended Trivino for the first two games of the 2010-11 season, but didn't boot him from the team because Trivino didn't have the same history of misbehavior as Saponari. The thought was that Trivino could change. Parker said he was and still is a "good kid." All he needed was some help for his drinking problem.

Unfortunately, Trivino didn't want help.

"It's something I tried to talk to him about and tried to get him help for," Parker said. "He wasn't interested."

According to sources, Trivino had been kicked out of a bar more than once during his time at BU for being belligerent, causing trouble and refusing to leave peacefully. A couple of those incidents occurred while he was underage, one source said. The St. Patrick's Day incident also occurred while Trivino was under 21.

Parker said that the last incident he was aware of before Sunday night came last spring. At that time, he talked to Trivino again about getting help and also punished him with extra workouts. During the summer, Parker decided Trivino was on his last legs. He sat Trivino down in early September and told him that if there were any alcohol-related incidents at all, he was gone.

"Unfortunately this was a very easy decision to make," Parker said of the dismissal. "I told him, 'If you do this again, you're not gonna be on the team.' He did it again. ... It didn't matter what it was. If he had another incident, he was gonna be gone. He had another incident."

Parker said everyone on the team was aware of Trivino's problems and that there was an effort, especially by the upperclassmen, to watch over him and not let him put himself in a position to get in trouble. Parker said he thinks everyone did all they could, but in the end it didn't matter.

"Everybody knew to keep an eye on Corey, but the only person who could've solved this problem was Corey," Parker said. "He chose not to."

Parker, who made a point to note how bad he feels for Trivino is "minimal" compared to how bad he feels for the victim, said he informed the rest of the team of his decision to dismiss Trivino during a meeting on Monday afternoon.

He said that players were upset and disappointed that the incident had happened, but that no one seemed surprised by the dismissal. Parker said most of the guys had already heard about the arrest at that point, and that many of them knew the ultimatum had been issued before the season.

Trivino was arraigned Monday morning and ordered to move out of his BU dormitory by that afternoon. According to The Boston Hockey Blog, the Toronto native was released without bail and forced to surrender his Canadian passport. He will need to post $25,000 cash bail in order to get his passport back.

Parker said his biggest concern for the team in the immediate future is that they need to focus on final exams, which start Friday, with all this swirling around. After finals, the team will have some time off to spend with family before returning to Boston prior to BU's game at Notre Dame on Dec. 31.

Parker said it won't be easy to replace Trivino on the ice, but that the team can't do anything except forge ahead and work as hard as they can to make up for that lost production.

"I told them, 'We just lost our first-line center, our No. 1 goal-scorer, the No.1 goal-scorer in Hockey East, a guy that was on track to be All-American and first team Hockey East.' That's a big hole," Parker said.

"He got removed from the team, and the circumstances surrounding that removal make it even more difficult because not only do we have a hole to fill in the lineup, but we have a hole to fill in our souls because he's a good kid and a good player and a good teammate. He had a problem, and that problem got him into a bigger problem."

Bookmark and Share PRINT

Comment on this Article

Send Feedback | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions

©2018 Scott McLaughlin. All Rights Reserved.