January 12, 2014 PRINT Bookmark and Share

Roundup: Maine Sweeps Up at Rainy Fenway

Merrimack, Colgate Earn Non-League Wins

CHN Staff Report

At a rainy Fenway Park in Boston, four Hockey East teams wrapped up another season's worth of outdoor games.

Northeastern stayed hot by defeating Massachusetts-Lowell in the early contest, which was moved up to noon to try to avoid the impending rain.

The latter game, between Maine and Boston University, was delayed on a couple of occasions because of heavy rain, but the game was ultimately completed, much to the Terriers' chagrin.

Maine, which defeated BU 7-0 earlier this season, opened a 5-0 lead in the second period before BU attempted to rally. But the reeling Terriers, besieged by injury and overall ineffectiveness, could not come back all the way, and lost 7-3.


Posting its first road shutout since December of 2011 thanks to a 34-save, shutout performance by junior Rasmus Tirronen, Merrimack ripped off two early power-play goals in the second period to power its way to a 4-0 victory at No. 11 Clarkson, as the Warriors split their weekend series at Cheel Arena.

Meanwhile, Tirronen was at his best, tying his career high in saves, with the bulk of them coming on the seven power plays that Clarkson enjoyed from the middle of the second period through the final buzzer. Those heroics assured the visitors that their lead was never in danger, as Merrimack picked up its first road win of the season in the process.

The piling up of penalties played into the visitors' favor, as Merrimack wasted little time taking advantage of its extended power plays. After just missing while skating with a 5-on-3 advantage, Quinn Gould punched in a gritty rebound goal at 2:16 after Mike Collins took the initial shot.

With Clarkson still serving the major penalty, the Knights did themselves no favors with yet another boarding call to put the visitors back on a 5-on-3 advantage. That led to Collins extending Merrimack's lead to three on a quick shot from the point that deflected into the net at 3:54, as Merrimack skated ahead, 3-0, in the early moments of the second period.

* * *

Dalton Speelman broke a 2-2 tie late in the third period to lead New Hampshire to Saturday's 4-2 victory against intrastate rival Dartmouth. UNH won its fourth consecutive game to improve to 13-10-1 overall while Dartmouth is now 3-12-2.

* * *

Colgate won its third straight, all against ranked opponents, 3-2 over Vermont. Colgate was coming off the win at the Mariucci Classic tournament (one of those wins was by shootout, which don't count in NCAA records).

The Catamounts snapped a five-game unbeaten streak and fell to 11-7-3 (4-5-0 HEA), suffering their first loss since Dec. 17.

The Raiders scored two power-play goals for the second-straight game with scores by Darcy Murphy and Tyson Spink. Tylor Spink was the other goal scorer for Colgate.

The teams were playing in Hamilton for the first time since 2004-05, Vermont's last season in the ECAC.

* * *

Junior Massimo Lamacchia notched a pair of goals as Brown skated to a 3-3 tie with Boston College in front of a sellout crowd at Meehan Auditorium. Brown is 6-6-3 on the season and remains unbeaten over the last five games, while Boston College moves to 14-4-3 overall.

Freshman Tyler Steel registered a career-high 29 saves in net for the Bears, many of the spectacular variety to help earn the tie with the vaunted Eagles.

Boston College extended its unbeaten streak to seven games.

Senior Bill Arnold matched a career-high seven-game point streak with the game-tying goal late in the third period, while linemate Johnny Gaudreau extended his point streak to 16 games.

* * *

Canisius rallied from a two-goal third-period deficit for a 5-4 victory against Sacred Heart. The Griffs scored two goals in the final 2:26 of regulation.

“It’s a sign of a veteran team that we were able to stay the course when things weren’t going our way,” said Canisius head coach Dave Smith. “We had a number of chances early and good puck possession but Sacred Heart played well today and had a late two-goal lead. We were very resilient though and our seniors, who have been in this situation before, found a way late to get a big two points out of the game.”

* * *

Air Force erased a two-goal deficit in the second period for a 4-2 win over Army and its first sweep at West Point since 2001.

“Hats off to our guys for this whole weekend,” Air Force coach Frank Serratore said. “This was a hard-fought, intense, emotional series and our guys found a way to get it down. We had to earn all three of our goals (not counting the empty-netter) tonight. There was nothing easy about it.”

Said Army coach Brian Riley, “Sure we went up 2-0, but this is a good Air Force team and we knew we would need more than that. I was pleased with our overall effort. We came out with more fire and intensity tonight and certainly hope that continues into next weekend.”

* * *

Junior forward Chris Bodo recorded his first collegiate hat trick and junior netminder Jimmy Sarjeant turned aside 36 shots as Mercyhurst won its fourth consecutive game, 4-2 over Holy Cross.

* * *

Bentley completed a sweep of RIT with a 4-1 win. Senior Brett Gensler scored twice, and sophomore Andrew Gladiuk added an insurance goal in the third period.

The Falcons improve to 9-3-2 in Atlantic Hockey play with the win and are now 9-1-2 in their last 12 games. They sweep RIT for the first time ever.

Bookmark and Share PRINT

Comment on this Article

Send Feedback | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions

©2018 College Hockey News.