March 10, 2014 PRINT Bookmark and Share

Clarkson Takes Game 3, Advances for First Time Since 2007

CHN Staff Report

Clarkson got goals from a trio of senior forwards in their last game in Cheel Arena, and held off Princeton, 3-2, to win the best-of-3 first-round series.

Clarkson advances to play at Cornell in the quarterfinals, the alma mater of coach Casey Jones and a place where he was assistant coach until three years ago.

It's the first time Clarkson has advanced in the ECAC playoffs since 2007.

"We know how long it's been since Clarkson's moved on," Jones said. "It's been printed, they read it, they hear it all the time. So it was big to just let the air out of that balloon and relax. I thought we were nervous Friday (in a loss) because of it. We got going Saturday night and just played. Tonight I thought it was just a grind to get that third game. But it was a well-fought game. But I know it was a hurdle to get over and a hump, and it was in the back of their mind and difficult to not think about it. So to accomplish it tonight, hopefully it is a big sigh of relief."

Jarrett Burton, Allan McPherson and Will Frederick got the goals, two of them coming on the power play. Princeton tied it twice, but just 2:49 after a Tigers goal in the second period, Frederick scored on the power play to give Clarkson the lead for good.

"You gotta score on the power play in short series, and we did," Jones said. "In the third, we locked down. We gave them minimal to no chances, and I thought that was the defining moment for us."

Princeton was trying to become the third No. 12 seed to win a first-round playoff series in ECAC history.

"I thought we played pretty well. The guys played hard," Princeton coach Bob Prier said. "Give both teams credit. Both teams had players that were battling real hard. ... They won the majority of the stick battles and it paid off for them in the end."


It had been over two years since Dartmouth came back from a third-period deficit, but it picked the right time to do it again.

The Big Green trailed Rensselaer, 4-2, after two periods of the deciding Game 3 of the ECAC first-round series. Then they stunned RPI, coming out on fire in the third and pounding away until they had three goals and a series win.

Eric Neiley and Brandon McNally combined on a pair of goals to tie it, then Brad Schierhorn scored witih 2:14 left in regulation.

The loss ended a bitterly disappointing season for RPI, which was picked to finish first in preseason polls. It got a 28-goal campaign from Ryan Haggerty, but suffered through the loss of top goalie Jason Kasdorf to injury early in the season.

Dartmouth will play top-seeded Union in the quarterfinals.

* * *

Robert Morris scored three unanswered goals to stave off upset-minded Army, 3-1, and advance to the Atlantic Hockey quarterfinals. The Colonials will face fourth-seeded Connecticut looking to avenge last year's quarterfinal series loss.

Army, coming off a win Saturday that was its first in the playoffs in six years, scored first, shorthanded. About a minute later, Robert Morris pulled goalie Terry Shafer and turned to little-used Dalton Izyk, for unknown reasons. Izyk stopped all 15 shots he faced in relief of Shafer to earn his first collegiate victory.

Approaching eight minutes remaining in the second period, David Friedmann picked up what would become the game-winning goal after an official review. Friedmann’s ninth goal of the season made the score 2-1 after a pass to the slot bounced off of his equipment and behind Parker Gahagan.

“I’m proud of the way our team fought,” said Army head coach Brian Riley. “They worked tirelessly all year and may not have always gotten the desired results. The bottom line is, they never quit and played to win. For that, I’m extremely proud of them all.”

* * *

Holy Cross rallied from a 2-0 deficit and poured 42 shots in net in defeating RIT, 3-2, in overtime in Game 3 of the teams' first-round series.

Holy Cross will meet top-seeded Mercyhurst in the quarterfinals.

After RIT took a 2-0 lead, Adam Schmidt kick-started the comeback for the Crusaders, scoring his 14th goal just 1:08 later. Holy Cross tied it in the second, but the third period was scoreless.

It took just 38 seconds of overtime for Mike Barrett to score, giving Holy Cross the win.

Bookmark and Share PRINT

Comment on this Article

Send Feedback | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions

©2017 College Hockey News.